Sam M. Laniado
Sam Laniado graduated from New York University School of Law in 1976. He joined the Staff of the NYS Department of Public Service (NYSDPS) in September 1976. He represented Staff in environmental, transmission, and power plant siting proceedings pursuant to Articles VII and VIII of the PSL, the investigation of the extended outage at Consolidated Edison's Indian Point II Generating Station, and the development of phase-in ratemaking principles to be applied when nuclear power plants were scheduled to enter rate base.
Mr. Laniado's duties also included directly advising the NYSDPS on a wide range of legal, regulatory and environmental issues. Furthermore, he provided representation of the NYS Public Service Commission and the NY Board on Electric Generation Siting and the Environment in appellate litigation proceedings (Article 78 of the Civil Practice Law and Rules). Mr. Laniado also represented the Staff in cases involving electric rates as well as gas, telephone and water rate cases.
Mr. Laniado left the NYSDPS for private practice in December 1983. Mr. Laniado leads the Firm's power plant and transmission line siting practice and has been involved in five Article X proceedings before the Siting Board, and gas and electric transmission line proceedings before the NYSPSC under Article VII. Among other activities, he advises clients on SEQRA, municipal permitting, environmental issues, and other energy-related matters. He has advised clients on every major legislative siting initiative for the past 40 years. In the last seven years, Mr. Laniado supervised the filings in support for the siting of seven solar and wind renewable energy facilities under Article 10 and Executive Law 94-c, as well as energy storage facilities under SEQRA.
Mr. Laniado had his article, Siting Renewable and Other Electric Generation under Article 10 of the New York Public Service Law, published in the New York Environmental Lawyer, Volume 36, Number 1 (2016).
- Renewable Energy Siting
- Municipal Law
- Transmission Siting
- Local Permitting
- Administrative Law
- New York University School of Law, New York, New York
- J.D., Doctor of Jurisprudence - 00/1976
- Queens College of the City University of New York, Flushing, New York
- B.A., Bachelor of Arts - 00/1973
- New York, 1977
- U.S. Federal Courts, 1977
- The Unified Court System of the State of New York
- Dedicated Service to Community Dispute Resolution Centers
- Siting Renewable and Other Electric Generation under Article 10 of the New York Public Service Law, New York Environmental Lawyer, Volume 36, Number 1, 2016
- Siting transmission lines for offshore wind facilities: Sam M. Laniado & Tyler W. Wolcott, Siting Transmission Lines for New York Offshore Wind Projects, 28 Env’t L. N.Y. 121, 2017
- Koch v. Dyson, 448 N.Y.S.2d 698, 1982, N.Y.A.D. 2 Dept., 1982113609
- General Motors Corp. v. Public Service Com'n of State of N.Y., 463 N.Y.S.2d 886, 1983, N.Y.A.D. 3 Dept., 1983130627
- Long Lake Energy Corp. v. Public Service Com'n of State of N.Y., 543 N.Y.S.2d 755, 1989, N.Y.A.D. 3 Dept., 1989098907
- NextEra Energy Resources, LLC
- Hecate Energy, LLC
- Metropolitan Transportation Authority
- NYSDPS, 1976
- New York State Bar Association, Member, 00/1977 to 00/1989